Saturday 26 November 2016

Character Modelling (Studio Tutorial)

In this process and production session I attempted the modelling tutorial again on Cinema 4D but this time I did it with the guidance of my tutor in the studio.

Preparation


The first step in the tutorial is to import a 2D drawing of the character you want to create in 3D and the drawing must consist of 2 drawings a front view and a side view. When I attempted this on my own I struggled and couldn't understand what the tutorial wanted me to do. Instead of the tutorial however I was shown a more simpler way. The first thing to do is create a new material and then import the drawing as a reference image in the material settings so it becomes a texture within Cinema 4D. Next create a plain in the front view and position it vertical so it looks as though it is stood up. Now apply the material with the drawing to that plain object and the drawing should appear on the plain. I created two plains both with the same image on it, one in the front view and the other in the side view because the drawing consists of one front view drawing and a side view drawing. Next I needed to use the loop tool on both plains to separate the drawings that will allow me to delete one of them and the plan is to have the drawing of the side view of the character in the side view perspective and the front view drawing in the front view perspective. Now I have something like this.






Modelling The Shirt


The next step was to start modelling the shirt the character wears. This part of the tutorial on my personal attempt went as expected but this time around it looked slightly better because of my improved knowledge of cleaning up a model. I started with a normal cube and concentrated on the cube in the side and front view. I then made my cube editable so I could select the edges, points and faces of the cube to transform the object. First I edited my cube from the front view, using the drawing as a reference I pulled and stretched my object to get a similar shape to the characters shirt. I applied the same technique to the side view of my cube focusing on the side view of the drawn character. After that step I had a 3D object that was the rough shape of the characters body and then I had to clean up the shape and make it more accurate. Using the loop tool on my 3D object in the front view and the side view allowed me to create more points, edges and faces so I had more to work with and edit with more detail.

The next step after having a accurate shaped object to my reference was to create arms for the character. In the area of where the arm is going to be in the side view I used the inner extrude tool which duplicates the points around a face of an object and moves them to the middle of that face. With these extra points I attached them to the points of a spine of a hexagon so then the extra points are positioned in the shape of a hexagon. Next I extruded the face of the newly formed hexagon which allowed a long 3D shape to grow out of my characters shoulder. Now the 3D model has one arm on the right side of his body so I used the loop tool to cut the body down the middle and then used the mirror tool to copy the arm to the other side of the body. Finally I added the sub division feature to my shirt model to smooth it out.





Modelling The Trousers


I moved on to modelling the trousers of the character which basically uses the same technique as modelling the shirt and this was a good opportunity to practice the modelling technique I have just learnt with modelling the shirt.





What Did I learn and Summary


Doing this task again under guidance was a big help because I already had a a go at the task on my own which meant that I had some understanding of what I was doing and then with the detailed explanation of the different steps filled the gaps for me. I was really happy to do the task again because it gave me the chance to improve and have a go at something other than a shirt to model.


Applying it to Studio

During the live brief project I modelled a mine cart for use in my animation. I used what I learnt from this process and production session to create my model in Cinema 4D. I sketched a side and front view of a mine cart I created and then used the drawing as reference within in Cinema 4D.




No comments:

Post a Comment