Thursday 16 March 2017

Demo Reel Test

In this process and production session we gathered together our best process and production work and created a demo reel to give us a idea of what should go in a demo reel and how it should be made, tips on how to grab companies attention when looking for placement.

As a student I won't have much or any industry work so my demo reel can be aimed at 30 seconds but no longer than a minute because my reel should be short and snappy to grab and maintain my audience's attention without boring them.

I used Illustrator to make my title frames for the start of the reel and the individual projects so there is a little introduction for my work. I made every object it's own layer so I could animate transitions for example making the text slowly appear when its time for them to be revealed.

I was reading a blog written by game developer's Naughty Dog who wrote a post about how to land a job with a AAA games company and there was a video of a demo reel which was submitted to Naughty Dog that got a 3D modeller a job with them. At the end of the reel the artist had his contact details and web address on screen with images of logos from the software he is experienced in which gave me the idea to do the same thing.




My demo reel is just over 1 minute at the moment so I have decided I am going to use less projects to shorten the video. I don't want to use some of the projects in this reel as my main interest is 3D modelling so I plan to include more projects like the mine cart and the t-shirt.

What Have I Learnt? 

This session has given me valuable experience towards making my desired demo reel with dos and don'ts. Keep it simple because over complicating my demo reel could reveal bad work or something companies won't like. Keep it short because I don't want to waste people's time. Aim your demo reel around a specific ability and area so people have an idea of what you want to do.

This demo reel I can use as a template and something to improve on when I come to create my final demo reel for looking for placement.

No comments:

Post a Comment