Thursday 9 March 2017

Self Publishing: Abstract Typography

In this process and production session we made and used stencils to create patterns with paint. We were given three different alphabets each a different font and we analysed them one at a time, drawing part of the characters as shapes on A3 paper. When I filled the A3 page with shapes I cut them out using a craft knife giving me a stencil to use, next I painted over my stencil on A2 paper moving my stencil either rotating it or simply moving it to experiment with mixing shapes and patterns.

Pattern 1

This stencil and pattern uses the shapes from the Baskerville Bold font and I took shapes from many letters from the alphabet including the number "7" and the letter "I".





Pattern 2

My second pattern uses the font Courier Bold and again I used the number "7" because I wanted at least one character I use in all three patterns so I could compare their shape.  





Pattern 3





What Did I Learn?

This session helped me realise that if I want to make something or generate ideas I can get the information from literally anything if I analyse fine detail. Before this session if I saw the fonts I would automatically think "oh different alphabets" but now examining really fine detail and shapes I can see how different they really are and the smallest detail can make great ideas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment